Textkit Logo

Pindar Quote

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Pindar Quote

Postby Saiph » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:43 am

Can someone help me translate this ? ?

[face=spionic]Mh fila yuxa Biov aqanatov speude tan dempraxton autlei maxaman[/face]

I was guessing it was something like, "Not love soul life not death strives my firend ? to exaust the battle" ? ? ?
phpbb
Saiph
Textkit Neophyte

Postby chad » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:11 am

hi saiph, i'll re-arrange it to make it simpler,

[face=SPIonic]mh\ speu=de a)qa&naton bi/on, fi/la yuxa&, a!ntlei de\ ta_n maxana_n e1mprakton.[/face]

don't be eager for ([face=SPIonic]speu=de[/face]: pres. imperative 2nd sg) immortal life, dear soul (pindar always talks to his soul), but make the most of ([face=SPIonic]a!ntlei[/face]: pres. imperative 2nd sg) the resources ([face=SPIonic]ta_n maxana_n[/face], fem acc. sg.) within one's power (also fem acc sg.). (in prose the article would prob attach to [face=SPIonic]maxana\n[/face], and [face=SPIonic]e)/mprakton[/face] would either have no article (fresh predicate) or another [face=SPIonic]ta\n[/face] article, but here in poetry it's a bit more flexible). hope that helps :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:33 am

Oh, I got liking this phrase. And it seems to justify my caffeine addiction: I don't care about longevity, but I just want to squeeze out my most; with caffeine. :P
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby chad » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:02 am

if u want to read it in pindar's unique rhythm, the original wording (in saiph's post) goes (dash is long, dot short)

- . - - // - . . - // . . - // - . - - // - . - - // - . -

(there aren't really feet in pindar, the // above are just to make it easier to read online) :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby Saiph » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:25 pm

Thanks.
phpbb
Saiph
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek