Textkit Logo

Pindar Quote

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Pindar Quote

Postby Saiph » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:43 am

Can someone help me translate this ? ?

[face=spionic]Mh fila yuxa Biov aqanatov speude tan dempraxton autlei maxaman[/face]

I was guessing it was something like, "Not love soul life not death strives my firend ? to exaust the battle" ? ? ?
phpbb
Saiph
Textkit Neophyte

Postby chad » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:11 am

hi saiph, i'll re-arrange it to make it simpler,

[face=SPIonic]mh\ speu=de a)qa&naton bi/on, fi/la yuxa&, a!ntlei de\ ta_n maxana_n e1mprakton.[/face]

don't be eager for ([face=SPIonic]speu=de[/face]: pres. imperative 2nd sg) immortal life, dear soul (pindar always talks to his soul), but make the most of ([face=SPIonic]a!ntlei[/face]: pres. imperative 2nd sg) the resources ([face=SPIonic]ta_n maxana_n[/face], fem acc. sg.) within one's power (also fem acc sg.). (in prose the article would prob attach to [face=SPIonic]maxana\n[/face], and [face=SPIonic]e)/mprakton[/face] would either have no article (fresh predicate) or another [face=SPIonic]ta\n[/face] article, but here in poetry it's a bit more flexible). hope that helps :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:33 am

Oh, I got liking this phrase. And it seems to justify my caffeine addiction: I don't care about longevity, but I just want to squeeze out my most; with caffeine. :P
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby chad » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:02 am

if u want to read it in pindar's unique rhythm, the original wording (in saiph's post) goes (dash is long, dot short)

- . - - // - . . - // . . - // - . - - // - . - - // - . -

(there aren't really feet in pindar, the // above are just to make it easier to read online) :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby Saiph » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:25 pm

Thanks.
phpbb
Saiph
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek