Textkit Logo

Scholiastic Phoenix: Scholiastae.org (and some Aoidoi)

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Scholiastic Phoenix: Scholiastae.org (and some Aoidoi)

Postby annis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:11 am

Just under three years ago I started up a new site in which I installed Wiki software with some add-ons I wrote to make it easy (well, easier) to mark up texts like I do for Aoidoi.org. It was a flop. After a few initial things, I became the sole user of the thing. So, at the end of April, the Wiki will be shut down.

I did manage to get a few texts well commented into the Wiki, and these I have rescued by typesetting pretty much the same way I do for Aoidoi. For an example, see Epictetus 1.1. Most of the time, texts at Scholiastae will be more appropriate for intermediate readers — I don't comment nearly as much vocabulary in these. And a few of the texts are "live" — they are very incompletely commented, but get updated every few days, as I tackle a new section. See Epicurus' Principal Doctrines as an example of that (I hope some day to figure out the syntax of 23).

Early in Textkit's history I wrote a few basic tutorials. These disappeared in some upgrade, so I have taken the repurposing of Scholiastae as an opportunity to revive those: Notes on Aorist Morphology and Phonetics 101: the Consonants. There's one more currently being edited.

Now that I have a nice system in place to comment prose, it will be easier for me to make and share notes on prose texts that grab my attention. A few smaller texts will be appearing in the next few weeks. The Wiki got a few smaller poems with comments, so those will be preserved for Aoidoi in the next month, too.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek