teach yourself ancient greek (Henry & Betts)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

teach yourself ancient greek (Henry & Betts)

Post by Bert »

Do any of you know if "Teach Yourself Ancient Greek" by Allan Henry and Gavin Betts, is a good book?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: teach yourself ancient greek (Henry & Betts)

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:Do any of you know if "Teach Yourself Ancient Greek" by Allan Henry and Gavin Betts, is a good book?
If it's for you, it's fine. If it's for a complete beginner, I think it goes too quickly, and yet without really enough connected Greek.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

waraysa
Textkit Neophyte

teach yourself Ancient Greek (Henry & Betts)

Post by waraysa »

I agree that this is a good book, but not for complete beginners.

An interesting feature is the use of Greek proverbs/sayings to illustrate grammar points/translation practice.

However, the book has one very annoying feature. Betts and Henry use the cyrillic 'C' for Sigma. This is very confusing at first for someone who is used to the usual Attic forms of sigma.

Cheers

Waraysa

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Thanks guys!
I bid on it on e-bay but I was outbid in the last few minutes of the auction.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: teach yourself ancient greek (Henry & Betts)

Post by Lex »

Bert wrote:Do any of you know if "Teach Yourself Ancient Greek" by Allan Henry and Gavin Betts, is a good book?
For only $17 US new, it's not bad. It has a key to the exercises, for one thing, which some other more popular books don't. I also found the consistent use of the lunate sigma annoying, though.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!