Textkit Logo

Ancient Greek Textbook

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Ancient Greek Textbook

Postby jamesee0106.latin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:44 am

Hi everyone,

I'm currently learning Latin (I've only started), but I would like to ask if there is an Ancient Greek language course / textbook, which is equivalent to Wheelock for Latin?

Thanks.
jamesee0106.latin
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Ancient Greek Textbook

Postby Grochojad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 am

What do you mean by "equivalent to Wheelock"?
Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Sinister Petrus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:55 pm

This book is probably the sort of thing you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Atti ... 995&sr=8-1

A classics PhD friend of mine seems to like it.
Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Grochojad » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Sinister Petrus wrote:This book is probably the sort of thing you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Atti ... 995&sr=8-1

A classics PhD friend of mine seems to like it.

I think Mastronarde is nothing like Wheelocks, but it a lot of people praise it. Giving it a try certainly isn't a bad idea.
Grochojad
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Sinister Petrus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Grochojad wrote:I think Mastronarde is nothing like Wheelocks, but it a lot of people praise it. Giving it a try certainly isn't a bad idea.

Hahaha. Perhaps they aren't much alike. I saw that Mastronade was a grammar-style text too, and my eyes glazed over—but I know some people like that sort of thing. I've got an increasingly antique edition of Wheelock that I picked up before I knew better, so I'm probably not the best judge.
Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby antonyclassicallatin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 pm

You can also try An Introduction to Ancient Greek: A literary Approach. I have used a variety of combinations of texts, including Alpha to Omega, the book mentioned above, JACT Reading Ancient Greek with Audio CDs, and lastly, Athenaze I and II. I like Athenaze because you read continuous greek, and they introduce a lot of real greek in small fragments, classical and if you like, biblical. Still not a Wheelock though but nice. Also, JACT is good but takes a long time... it does get to a place where you start to read real manuscripts eventually. They is a big difference between real Ancient Greek and what someone wrote in our century, so just being able to recognize forms and structure helps with reading real Ancient Greek. I try to mix the two to get a sense of what I am getting myself into.
Washington DC Area.
Knowledgable in Ancient Greek and Latin.
antonyclassicallatin
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek