Lucian problem

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lina
Textkit Neophyte

Lucian problem

Post by Lina »

αἰτία δέ μοι τῆς ἀποδημίας καὶ ὑπόθεσις ἡ τῆς διανοίας περιεργία καὶ πραγμάτων καινῶν ἐπιθυμία καὶ...

Hi all,

I'm reading Lucian's True Story. The meaning of this phrase eludes me: καὶ ὑπόθεσις ἡ τῆς διανοίας περιεργία

The book defines περιεργία as "officiousness", which does not make sense to me. Also...the article goes with περιεργία, right? I don't get why there are two nouns and the article is in that spot.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Lucian problem

Post by spiphany »

Hi Lina
You almost got it. περιεργία is part of the predicate. You need to supply a form of "to be". I broke down & reordered the sentence for you so you can see how the parts go together better:
αἰτία καὶ ὑπόθεσις τῆς ἀποδημίας [ἦσαν] ἡ περιεργία τῆς διανοίας καὶ ἐπιθυμία πραγμάτων καινῶν καὶ τὸ βούλεσθαι μαθεῖν...

For the meaning of περιεργία try "inquisitiveness" (the underlying metaphor has to do with sticking one's nose in other people's business (εργα) I think)
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Lina
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Lucian problem

Post by Lina »

Thanks for your help.