Anabasis Question?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Thessaloniki
Textkit Neophyte

Anabasis Question?

Post by Thessaloniki »

I found the following sentence<br />prin de toceuma ecikneisqai ekkinousin oi barbaroi kai feugousi<br /> <br />I understand it basically, but is there anything in this sentence which specifies whose arrows they are? The barbarians or the greeks. The translation I have puts it as ' before an arrow could reach them (the barbararians) they pulled back and fled. However I read it as 'before an arrow reached (the greeks ) the barbarians pulled back and fled.<br />Thanks.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Anabasis Question?

Post by Skylax »

Anabasis, I, 8, 19<br />It is e)kkli/nousin with a "lambda", meaning "take evasive action".<br /><br />For the rest, see Herodotus, 4, 129 <br /> o(/son to/ceuma e)cikne/etai "as far as an arrow can hit, inside the range of an arrow". So there is no direct object implied. I understand : "Before an arrow can hit (anybody, Greek or Persian". This phrase indicates only that the Greeks were not yet dangerous for the Persians when the Persians fled, the Greeks were yet far away when the Persians fled.<br /><br />(This is my best broken English. I hope you understand something)<br /><br />Regards<br />Fernand<br /><br />