Textkit Logo

Eur. Med. 1268

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Eur. Med. 1268

Postby zsnowstorm » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:37 am

I'm having problem with this sentence:

χαλεπὰ γὰρ βροτοῖς ὁμογενῆ μιάσματ᾽, ἕπεται δ᾽ ἅμ᾽ αὐτοφόνταις ξυνῳδὰ θεόθεν πίτνοντ᾽ ἐπὶ δόμοις ἄχη.

The second clause confuses me a bit. To begin with I don't know what ξυνῳδὰ means and I haven't found it in Perseus but it must be the subject and it should be a neutral noun in plural which goes with πίτνοντ᾽ so ξυνῳδὰ follow the murderers falling from the gods to (the murderers') houses and then I have no idea how ἄχη fit in here and what i means. I would appreciate if someone could help me out with the parts I don't get in this sentence.
zsnowstorm
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Eur. Med. 1268

Postby spiphany » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Try συνῳδα ("harmonious, singing in accord"). ξυν- for συν- is a fairly common substitution, but it's confusing until you've seen it a few times.

ἄχη (neuter pl. from ἄχος, "anguish, distress"). Both ξυνῳδα and πίτνοντα modify it.

Kovacs has "woes harmonious [with their deeds]".
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)
spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Eur. Med. 1268

Postby zsnowstorm » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Aha, I didn't know about the συν -> ξυν thing, that's what caused me the problems. I sort of get the feeling I should have encountered this before but must've forgotten about it then. Are there any rules for when this can happen?

Thanks a lot anyways I get it now. :D
zsnowstorm
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek