Textkit Logo

Translation help real quick

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Translation help real quick

Postby Anjelous » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:31 pm

This isn't homework, so no worries about helping me cheat or anything silly like that. Basically I just need a little push in the right direction, I wonder of someone might be so kind as to render the first four sentences into English so my comprehension can benefit? I can READ them, and even get a rough idea of their meaning, but my brain gets confused when i see the genitive and accusative cases, because I'm not sure of the MEANING I'm supposed to be deriving.

For example, #3. Anthropon psukas? You have the genitive plural and the accusative plural... lively men? Men full of life?

And #1. Logos is a masculine noun, you've got sophou genitive singular, sophos the masculine form of the adjective, and estin meaning 'it is'. Individually I know all the words but how do you put it all together as a complete, comprehensible sentence?

Link to my public dropbox so you all can see the picture of the sentences in question. I'm an undergrad but this isn't school related so I don't have any professor guiding me through this, hence my brain is prone to confusion.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31300764/Photo% ... %20PM.jpeg
Anjelous
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Translation help real quick

Postby spiphany » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:55 pm

1 and 4 are aphorisms of the form x is (is not) y.
1) λόγος σοφοῦ = subject ("a word of wisdom")
σόφος = predicate

4) Greek can omit the verb "to be" if the meaning is considered clear from the context.
νηπίου λόγοι = subject (again, translate the genitive with "of")
σοφοί = predicate
οὔ ποτε = "not ever"

Stick "is/are" in between subject and predicate for both sentences and you're good to go.

2 and 3 are not complete sentences, which makes it difficult to translate.
ἀνθρώπων ψυχάs = think about the exact meaning & part of speech of the individual words here. Psyche is an noun, not an adjective, so "lively" men doesn't work. Try: "the souls of men"

Can I ask what textbook you're using? Hansen & Quinn?

btw for typing in Greek you might try out this neat little page:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tayl0010/polyton ... utter.html
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)
spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Translation help real quick

Postby Anjelous » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 am

Thanks so much for your reply, that was very helpful and exact what I was looking for! In the morning I'll review that section and get a better grasp of it.

The book I'm using is A Reading Course in Homeric Greek Book One by Raymond V. Schoder.
Anjelous
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek