Textkit Logo

grammar query

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

grammar query

Postby Koala » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:59 am

[face=SPIonic] )0W (Ellhnistai sofwteroi<br />[/face]<br /><br />Just a note to say that I commend you on this enjoyable site; it has spurred me on to learn ‘a little Greek’ – and am using with some profit the first Greek book by J J White. Could I ask a couple of questions arising?<br /><br />On page 86, para 342, Q 1 there is<br />[face=SPIonic]e9pesqai<br />[/face]<br />now, is this the aorist infin of e9pomai and if so, why/how?<br /><br />Secondly, if I might ask you (in my best optative), what might a good translation be of para 375, page 96, Q 9, that goes:<br />[face=SPIonic] kai sun au0toij men a0n timioj, au0twn de ei0 e0rhmoj ei0hn, ou0k a0n i9kanoj ei0hn touj filouj w0felein.<br />[/face]<br /><br />With thanks and [face=SPIonic] xaire<br />[/face] :)<br />
phpbb
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Re:grammar query

Postby annis » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:59 pm

[quote author=Koala link=board=2;threadid=144;start=0#693 date=1054702788]<br />[face=SPIonic] )0W (Ellhnistai sofwteroi<br />[/face]<br />Just a note to say that I commend you on this enjoyable site; it has spurred me on to learn ‘a little Greek’ – and am using with some profit the first Greek book by J J White.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Welcome to the wonderful world of Greek.<br /><br />
Could I ask a couple of questions arising?<br /><br />On page 86, para 342, Q 1 there is<br />[face=SPIonic]e9pesqai<br />[/face]<br />now, is this the aorist infin of e9pomai and if so, why/how?<br />
<br /><br />(Oops... for some reason I misparsed this question the first time around.)<br /><br />I'm not sure I understand the how and why question. This is a present infinitive. Why do you ask if it is aorist? For the aorist, I'd expect something like e(/spesqai, but it turns out the aorist infinitive is spe/sqai.<br /><br />
<br />Secondly, if I might ask you (in my best optative), what might a good translation be of para 375, page 96, Q 9, that goes:<br />[face=SPIonic] kai sun au0toij men ei)/hn a0n timioj, au0twn de ei0 e0rhmoj ei0hn, ou0k a0n i9kanoj ei0hn touj filouj w0felein.<br />[/face]<br />
<br /><br />Strange-o Xenophon again, I assume.<br /><br />"And with them I would be valued, but if I were deprived of them I would not be able to help my (tou/j) friends."<br /><br />Does this make sense?
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:grammar query

Postby Koala » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:59 pm

thanks ...<br /><br />I don't know why I thought it might be an aorist<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />[face=SPIonic] ei0 gar genoimhn sofoj [/face]
phpbb
Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek