Textkit Logo

Oxford volume of Lucian's True History?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Oxford volume of Lucian's True History?

Postby Helikwps » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 am

Hello everyone! This is my first post beyond the intro and I'm really grateful that this board exists.

Could I trouble you all with an obscure book question? I'm trying to locate an Oxonii Greek volume of Lucian that contains his True History, aka True Story. I hear there were Luciani opera series put out by Oxford in 1972 and 1987, but nowhere can I find exactly which Tomus contains the "Alethe diegemata". (I understand Adventure in the Whale's Belly is a great early read for a kid.)

I'm aware of the Loeb but am trying to go Oxford if at all possible. Thanks so much!

Tim aka helikwps
Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Oxford volume of Lucian's True History?

Postby Craig_Thomas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:48 am

It's in tomus I. You can see a preview of it on Google Books here and see the index for all four tomi here.
Craig_Thomas
Textkit Member

Postby Helikwps » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks much Craig! (And for the links.) You put an end to literally weeks of searching. Much appreciated!
Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Markos » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:17 pm

I am writing in Ancient Greek not because I know Greek well, but because I hope that it will improve my fluency in reading. I got the idea for this from Adrianus over on the Latin forum here at Textkit.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby Helikwps » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Holy Moly Markos, thanks for costing me another $15! I had just finished my purchase of Oxonii and Loeb eds when I saw your link to this volume, which is clearly a must-have.

I'm amazed at this new print-on demand trend, where independent scholars do commentary and facing-vocab of Greek texts in a new and elegant script -- not like the 12th-generation print-offset I used for Xenophon a few years back -- Geoffrey Steadman's books and now this... Absolutely great and thanks!
Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Helikwps » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:39 pm

This volume arrived and it's absolutely brilliant. In fact I'm getting another copy to read along with my kid. Thanks so much Markos, I never would have known of it if not for your tip.
Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Markos » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:28 am

Thanks so much Markos, I never would have known of it if not for your tip.

Glad you liked it.

{ χαίρω μὲν οὖν μαθὼν ὅτι ἐν τούτῳ τῷ βιβλίῳ εὐδόκησας. }
I am writing in Ancient Greek not because I know Greek well, but because I hope that it will improve my fluency in reading. I got the idea for this from Adrianus over on the Latin forum here at Textkit.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:21 am

Just Brilliant, Marke!
I should add those readers in my shopping cart at amazon right now!
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek