Quote from Thucydides on Harmodius and Aristogiton

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lina
Textkit Neophyte

Quote from Thucydides on Harmodius and Aristogiton

Post by Lina »

57. καὶ ὡς ἐπῆλθεν ἡ ἑορτή, Ἱππίας μὲν ἔξω ἐν τῷ Κεραμεικῷ καλουμένῳ μετὰ τῶν δορυφόρων διεκόσμει ὡς ἕκαστα ἐχρῆν τῆς πομπῆς προϊέναι...

Hi all,
In the above quote, ἕκαστα is listed as a singular, feminine, nominative doric aeolic adjective. At least, that is what has the most votes on Perseus Project.

My best guess had been that it was a plural neuter adjective, since I am not familiar with doric aeolic spellings. But I have never thought of "each" as being plural. What would the plural be? "Every"?

Can someone help me out with this? I cannot find any indication that Thucydides wrote in a doric aeolic dialect. If he does, it was very shabby of the text I was using not to give me help with that word.

Thanks,
Lina

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Quote from Thucydides on Harmodius and Aristogiton

Post by NateD26 »

I think it should be neuter plural (Thuc. wrote primarily in Attic, as far as I know),
and refers to the details (lit. all and each severally, LSJ) of the procession, as written here
under the notes of E.C. Marchant, 1909.
Nate.