Textkit Logo

Quote from Thucydides on Harmodius and Aristogiton

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Quote from Thucydides on Harmodius and Aristogiton

Postby Lina » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:11 pm

57. καὶ ὡς ἐπῆλθεν ἡ ἑορτή, Ἱππίας μὲν ἔξω ἐν τῷ Κεραμεικῷ καλουμένῳ μετὰ τῶν δορυφόρων διεκόσμει ὡς ἕκαστα ἐχρῆν τῆς πομπῆς προϊέναι...

Hi all,
In the above quote, ἕκαστα is listed as a singular, feminine, nominative doric aeolic adjective. At least, that is what has the most votes on Perseus Project.

My best guess had been that it was a plural neuter adjective, since I am not familiar with doric aeolic spellings. But I have never thought of "each" as being plural. What would the plural be? "Every"?

Can someone help me out with this? I cannot find any indication that Thucydides wrote in a doric aeolic dialect. If he does, it was very shabby of the text I was using not to give me help with that word.

Thanks,
Lina
Lina
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Quote from Thucydides on Harmodius and Aristogiton

Postby NateD26 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 am

I think it should be neuter plural (Thuc. wrote primarily in Attic, as far as I know),
and refers to the details (lit. all and each severally, LSJ) of the procession, as written here
under the notes of E.C. Marchant, 1909.
Nate.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek