Textkit Logo

subjunctive/optative conjunctions...what is the difference?

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

subjunctive/optative conjunctions...what is the difference?

Postby designatus insanorum » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm

My textbook is Schoder/Horrigan/Edwards; I am teaching myself.

When I reached the chapter introducing the subjunctive, the vocabulary lists several conjunctions with the same meaning--hina, hopos, ophra. My question is, as you may have guessed, is if these words are interchangeable, or if have different shades of meaning. I mean, I fully expect them to not be interchangeable, and what I am really asking is whether anyone knows how these words are different from each other. The textbook, as far as I've looked ahead, does not enlighten me on the matter.
designatus insanorum
Textkit Neophyte

Re: subjunctive/optative conjunctions...what is the differen

Postby Koehnsen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:51 pm

According to what I was taught, those conjunctions (except for ὂφρα) all mean "in order that," with no shade of meaning. In other words they are interchangeable.

I checked Smyth (§ 2193) and it confirms everything above. But ὂφρα is strictly while or until in Epic and Lyric according to Smyth; ἒως for the same in Epic.

There is a full explanation of other conditions, so please consult Smyth § 2193, which I believe is still available free as a pdf download in Textkit.

I am sure some of the experts here like chad or annis can shed further light on this.

Edit: with regard to ὂφρα and minor text edits.
Koehnsen
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek