Participle Q

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Participle Q

Post by PeterD »

Friday night and practising my Greek --now that is cool :!:

Example: "I didn't punish the slave [/u]who had not done his work."

I know that the finite verb in the main clause must be in the aorist tense (i.e., ἐκόλασα). I do not want to use a subordinate relative clause but a partiiciple instead; therefore, the participle in this example must be in the aorist aspect since the action of the sub. rel. clause underlined above has been completed before the action of the main verb.

So far so good.

QUESTION: Since I am using a participle instead of a relative clause for the Eng. to Gr. trans., must the participle be in the attributive or appositional position, i.e., within the article-noun group?

οὐκ ἐκόλασα τὸν δοῦλον... :?

Please comment...

Thanks

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re: Participle Q

Post by Paul »

PeterD wrote: QUESTION: Since I am using a participle instead of a relative clause for the Eng. to Gr. trans., must the participle be in the attributive or appositional position, i.e., within the article-noun group?
Hi Peter,

I think you want to stick with the attributive here. Your relative clause serves to qualify the slave. Hence the participle is strictly adjectival.

If you shun the attributive, your participle will tend towards the circumstantial - not what you want here.

Cordially,

Paul

P.S. - studying Greek on a Friday night is hip indeed :D

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Thank you for the reply.

καλον σαββατοκυριακον :D