Textkit Logo

Questions On Athematic Verbs

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Questions On Athematic Verbs

Postby Gregorius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm on Chapter 13 of H&Q, and this mixed-vs.-root aorist business raises couple of questions in my mind. Δίδωμι and τίθημι both have mixed aorist, but the intransitive aorist of ἵστημι is a root aorist. What of the transitive? Is it mixed or pure first aorist? For example, would the third-person plural transitive aorist indicative active be έστησαν or έστασαν?

Is it a safe assumption to make that any (or almost any) athematic verb with a first aorist form as its third principal part has a mixed aorist?

Finally, the substitution of the stem ἵστε- for the expected ἵστα- in the subjunctive: is that an irregularity unique to ἵστημι or is it generalizable to all athematic verbs whose short-vowel grades have alphas?

Thanks!
phpbb
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Questions On Athematic Verbs

Postby NateD26 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 pm

Gregorius wrote:I'm on Chapter 13 of H&Q, and this mixed-vs.-root aorist business raises couple of questions in my mind. Δίδωμι and τίθημι both have mixed aorist, but the intransitive aorist of ἵστημι is a root aorist. What of the transitive? Is it mixed or pure first aorist? For example, would the third-person plural transitive aorist indicative active be έστησαν or έστασαν?

Smyth in §819 writes this about ἵστημι:

ἵστημι set: trans. στήσω shall set, 1 aor. ἔστησα set, ἐστάθην was set, ἵσταμαι set for myself, στήσομαι, ἐστησάμην. Four active tenses are intrans.: 2 aor. ἔστην (set myself) stood, pf. ἕστηκα (have set myself) stand, am standing, εἱστήκη stood, was standing, 2 perf. ἕστατον stand, fut. pf. ἑστήξω shall stand. So also ἵσταμαι set myself, stand, στήσομαι.

N.—The same distinction prevails in the compounds: ἀνίστημι raise up, ἀνέστην stood up, ἀφίστημι set off, cause to revolt, ἀπέστην stood off, revolted, ἀφέστηκα am distant, am in revolt; ἐφίστημι set over, ἐπέστην set myself over, ἐφέστηκα am set over; καθίστημι set down, establish, κατέστην established myself, became established, καθέστηκα am established. The aorist middle has a different meaning: κατεστήσατο established for himself; συνίστημι introduce, unite, συνέστημεν banded together.

According to LSJ, 3rd pl. of either should be ἔ-στη-σαν, but it seems that ἔ-στᾰ-σαν did exist in Epic,
(distinguished from that of the 2nd aor. ἔ-στα-ν) from which in late prose we see ἔ-στᾰ-σα, -σε, etc.

δίδωμι, τίθημι and ἵημι have mixed aorist, in which the plural have a short vowel. (well, not quite; εἱ- instead of ἡ- for ἵημι). ἵστημι does not.

Gregorius wrote:Finally, the substitution of the stem ἵστε- for the expected ἵστα- in the subjunctive: is that an irregularity unique to ἵστημι or is it generalizable to all athematic verbs whose short-vowel grades have alphas?

Subjunctives & optatives of -μι verbs are declined like -ω ones, and follow somewhat different
contraction rules with the short-vowel of the stems. The stem of ἵστημι is στα-, never στε-:
σι-στα-* > ἱ-στα-, which is then turned to ἱ-στη- in ind. act. sg.

Subj.: σι-στα-ω* > ἱ-στά-ω > ἱστῶ; σι-στα-ῃς* > ἱ-στά-ῃς > ἱστῇς (cp. τιμά-ῃς > τιμᾷς;
δηλό-ῃς > δηλοῖς vs. δι-δό-ῃς > διδῷς)
Opt.: σι-στα-ι-ην* > ἱ-στα-ί-ην > ἱσταίην; σι-στα-ι-ης* > ἱ-στα-ί-ης > ἱσταίης
Nate.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek