Textkit Logo

Xen. Anabasis 1.1.2

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Xen. Anabasis 1.1.2

Postby zsnowstorm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm having problems with this sentence:

ἀναβαίνει οὖν ὁ Κῦρος λαβὼν Τισσαφέρνην ὡς φίλον, καὶ τῶν Ἑλλήνων ἔχων ὁπλίτας ἀνέβη τριακοσίους, ἄρχοντα δὲ αὐτῶν Ξενίαν Παρράσιον.

In the last clause ἄρχοντα δὲ αὐτῶν Ξενίαν Παρράσιον. Shouldn't it be in nominative "their leader was..." or am I to understand some form of ἔχω here?
zsnowstorm
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Xen. Anabasis 1.1.2

Postby pster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:39 pm

...he had 300 hoplites and Xenias, their captain...

δὲ means "and" here so the "300 hoplites" and "Xenias" are both in the same case, accusative, and governed by ἔχων.

The ἀνέβη seems somewhat redundant.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Postby jaihare » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 pm

zsnowstorm wrote:I'm having problems with this sentence:

ἀναβαίνει οὖν ὁ Κῦρος λαβὼν Τισσαφέρνην ὡς φίλον, καὶ τῶν Ἑλλήνων ἔχων ὁπλίτας ἀνέβη τριακοσίους, ἄρχοντα δὲ αὐτῶν Ξενίαν Παρράσιον.

In the last clause ἄρχοντα δὲ αὐτῶν Ξενίαν Παρράσιον. Shouldn't it be in nominative "their leader was..." or am I to understand some form of ἔχω here?

Notice that Tissaphernes was definitely not a φίλος to Cyrus. :)
Jason Hare
jaihare@gmail.com

ὁ μὲν Παῦλος τοὺς ἐν ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις μαθητὰς τὴν χωρὶς νόμου δικαιοσύνην τὴν ἐν Χριστῷ ἐδίδασκεν, οἱ δ᾿ ἄλλοι ἀπόστολοι τοὺς ἀνθρώπους ἐδίδασκον τηρεῖν τὸν θεῖον νόμον τὸν χειρὶ Μωϋσέως δοθέντα.
jaihare
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby zsnowstorm » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks. This makes total sense to me know. I don't know why I was having problems with this. :S
zsnowstorm
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek