Athenaze for self study: What do I need to buy?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

Athenaze for self study: What do I need to buy?

Post by TonyLoco23 »

I have done a lot of research (on this forum and Amazon reviews) and I have decided that Athenaze is the right textbook for me to learn Ancient Greek by myself.

But my question is, how many books do I need to buy?

I hear the book comes in 2 seperate volumes. And that there are also workbooks and a "teachers handbook". Also there is a UK and a USA version of the books. :?:

If I am working by myself then clearly I will need an exercise answer key. Does the regular Athenaze not contain an answer key? If that is the case then it is a little annoying that I would need to fork out $100 for the teachers edition (amazon price).

What about the "workbook"? Is this strictly neccesary or just supplemental?

What is the difference between the US and UK versions?

Also, based on my ability, should I start with Volume I or move straight into volume 2? I have already done some Koine, I know the 3 declensions, present, middle passive, aorist and future verb conjugations and probably know most of the vocab that appears more than 50 times in the Bible. But I have no Attic. I am thinking that Volume 1 may be a waste of time and money based on what I already know, but then again Volume 2 may be throwing myself in the deep end if I haven't learnt all the vocab from volume 1.

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Athenaze for self study: What do I need to buy?

Post by NateD26 »

I've seen parts of the workbook of vol.1 and, although it can help, it's not all that necessary.
If you can afford the teacher's book in addition to vol.2 (vol.1 is mostly not needed for your level),
I'm sure that can only make things easier.

Good luck with your studies! :)
Nate.

TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TonyLoco23 »

NateD26 wrote: If you can afford the teacher's book in addition to vol.2 (vol.1 is mostly not needed for your level),
I'm sure that can only make things easier.
Thanks, so you recommend the teachers handbook? Also it seems that the teachers handbook does not have all of the content to the students book, therefore I need to buy both the teachers handbook and the student book right?

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

TonyLoco23 wrote:Thanks, so you recommend the teachers handbook? Also it seems that the teachers handbook does not have all of the content to the students book, therefore I need to buy both the teachers handbook and the student book right?
I haven't seen the teacher's handbook myself, but if you say it doesn't cover all the material in
the student's book, then it'd be wise to get both of them. Of course, if you can afford only one,
I'd go for the student's book and post questions here on the forum whenever needed. :)
Nate.

helios
Textkit Neophyte
Location: I was born by the river in a little tent / and just like the river, I've been running ever since

Post by helios »

I have the Teacher's Handbooks, Book One and Book Two. Each section contains guidance for the teacher and the answers to the exercises. But it does not have the actual material that's in the student's book–––just the answers and pedagogical advice for the teacher.
Keep it rill.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Do you know about the free on-line audio?

[ αρα οιδας τας ηχωγραφας δωρεάν? ]
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I own a copy of both levels 1 and 2, along with the workbooks for both levels and the teacher's manual for level 1. For the first half of the first level, I found the teacher's manual useful. After that, the matching between the exercises and the key became more and more hit-and-miss. I don't think the teacher's manual is necessary at all.

We worked through the first level, and I hardly touched the workbook. I don't think it's all that necessary either. However, I'm at the point where I need to review the first level before starting the second, and I'm going to work through the workbook as my review.

I really like Athenaze, by the way.

antonyclassicallatin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antonyclassicallatin »

The teacher's handbooks are on Amazon.com in the USA.
Washington DC Area.
Knowledgable in Ancient Greek and Latin.

camusartre
Textkit Neophyte

Post by camusartre »

Have anyone Woekbook I and II Pdf? In my country nobody sells them.

camusartre
Textkit Neophyte

Post by camusartre »

Have anyone Workbook I and II Pdf? In my country nobody sells them.