H&Q Eng-to-Greek Translation Attempt

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

H&Q Eng-to-Greek Translation Attempt

Post by Gregorius »

I'm halfway through H&Q, and I'm trying out Self-Correcting Exam 3B to make sure I'm ready for the second half. The English-to-Greek translation sentence was this:

Good women, since we have been wronged by evil men, let us die on behalf of our country, at least.

I suspect that, although different from the official answer, my translation is also correct, but I want to run it by someone who's more experienced to make sure I'm not just being overconfident.

ῶ αγαθαί, ἅθ' ὑπό κακῶν ηδικημέναι, ὑπέρ τῆς πατρίδος ἡμῶν γε θνῄσκωμεν.

Thanks!

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: H&Q Eng-to-Greek Translation Attempt

Post by NateD26 »

Gregorius wrote:ῶ αγαθαί, ἅθ' ὑπό κακῶν ηδικημέναι, ὑπέρ τῆς πατρίδος ἡμῶν γε θνῄσκωμεν.
The vocative would probably appear after ἠδικημέναι, and ἡμῶν in this sentence is generally
understood, but your translation is grammatically sound. :)
Nate.

Rothbardian
Textkit Neophyte

Re: H&Q Eng-to-Greek Translation Attempt

Post by Rothbardian »

Gregorius wrote:I'm halfway through H&Q, and I'm trying out Self-Correcting Exam 3B to make sure I'm ready for the second half. The English-to-Greek translation sentence was this:

Good women, since we have been wronged by evil men, let us die on behalf of our country, at least.

I suspect that, although different from the official answer, my translation is also correct, but I want to run it by someone who's more experienced to make sure I'm not just being overconfident.

ῶ αγαθαί, ἅθ' ὑπό κακῶν ηδικημέναι, ὑπέρ τῆς πατρίδος ἡμῶν γε θνῄσκωμεν.

Thanks!
You're expected to do the exercises and tests with the vocabulary introduced up to that point in the book...