Textkit Logo

H&Q Eng-to-Greek Translation Attempt

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

H&Q Eng-to-Greek Translation Attempt

Postby Gregorius » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm halfway through H&Q, and I'm trying out Self-Correcting Exam 3B to make sure I'm ready for the second half. The English-to-Greek translation sentence was this:

Good women, since we have been wronged by evil men, let us die on behalf of our country, at least.

I suspect that, although different from the official answer, my translation is also correct, but I want to run it by someone who's more experienced to make sure I'm not just being overconfident.

ῶ αγαθαί, ἅθ' ὑπό κακῶν ηδικημέναι, ὑπέρ τῆς πατρίδος ἡμῶν γε θνῄσκωμεν.

Thanks!
phpbb
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: H&Q Eng-to-Greek Translation Attempt

Postby NateD26 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:00 am

Gregorius wrote:ῶ αγαθαί, ἅθ' ὑπό κακῶν ηδικημέναι, ὑπέρ τῆς πατρίδος ἡμῶν γε θνῄσκωμεν.

The vocative would probably appear after ἠδικημέναι, and ἡμῶν in this sentence is generally
understood, but your translation is grammatically sound. :)
Nate.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: H&Q Eng-to-Greek Translation Attempt

Postby Rothbardian » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Gregorius wrote:I'm halfway through H&Q, and I'm trying out Self-Correcting Exam 3B to make sure I'm ready for the second half. The English-to-Greek translation sentence was this:

Good women, since we have been wronged by evil men, let us die on behalf of our country, at least.

I suspect that, although different from the official answer, my translation is also correct, but I want to run it by someone who's more experienced to make sure I'm not just being overconfident.

ῶ αγαθαί, ἅθ' ὑπό κακῶν ηδικημέναι, ὑπέρ τῆς πατρίδος ἡμῶν γε θνῄσκωμεν.

Thanks!

You're expected to do the exercises and tests with the vocabulary introduced up to that point in the book...
Rothbardian
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek