Errors in North & Hillard?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
adz000
Textkit Member

Errors in North & Hillard?

Post by adz000 »

hi!<br /><br />I've been going through North & Hillard as a summer review for Greek composition and though it's in general a great course, I've found a few minor errors in the answer key that might be worth paying attention to: an agreement problem, the creation of a new accent (pro-proparoxytone anyone?), using 'aireo in the passive in the wrong sense, and in one case neglecting to translate into Greek a phrase "of the king". And I'm only on exercise 27.<br /><br />I realize these are just quibbles and it would be impossible to fix the pdf files manually, but I'm wondering whether there is any cause for creating an accompanying file to list some corrigenda. I'd offer everything I have so far, which may or may not be totally correct since I make no claims for my Greek ability; but there's the chance that if I get too frustrated (not to mention sick of soldiers conquered and pretty gifts given) I may switch to a different composition course. In terms of writing good, continuous, real dead Greek there might be better options. N&H seems to want to present everything to the schoolboy as a cut-and-dry rule so that he or she can then be beaten in the proper Victorian manner, when the options for the Attic writer are far more flexible. Have other people found similar problems with N&H? Is it a popular enough choice that you think corrections would be helpful?<br />Comments anyone.<br /><br />Best,<br />Adam

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Errors in North & Hillard?

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Adam - Yes, if you think you have found an error it would be good to have some sort of appendix to the key with corrections.<br /><br />Post an error in the forum saying why you think it is wrong - its actually a good topic of discussion that not only can point out any flaws but it can be a nice learning exercise for others on the board using the book.<br /><br />And yes, N&H does tend to simplify things, but it is a beginner's composition book and that is I think not a bad way to start. Based upon the brevity of their lessons I have always assumed that they intended for the school master to provide further detail and clarification. <br /><br />We'll be posting Sidgwick's Greek Prose Composition in the future. It is much more advanced and has a greater variety of passages to compose, but sorry to say, I still cannot locate a key for it.<br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff<br />
Textkit Founder

Thessaloniki
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Thessaloniki »

I have been going through this also and have noticed several errors myself. In some cases the answer key is just missing a part that should have been there, but in other cases it seems there are some grammatical issues (even though I am no expert and just learning ).<br />I'm teaching myself greek and this is by far one of the best resources I've ever come across. Thank you so much for making it available. I'm admittedly cheating and working backwards from the answer key to the english, but it is an excellent way to get reading practice and escape somewhat from grammar study.<br />Next time I think I discover a grammatical error I will post it. It would be great if a thread could be started where we could post questions related specifically to these materials (wether error related or not).<br /><br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Thessaloniki:<br /><br />I'm glad to hear you like the book. It is a personal favorite of mine. Going from Greek back to English is a great exercise and a nice break from composition.<br /><br />The key is the original (its missing the first few exercises) but what you see was published my N&H.<br /><br />If you see something that looks odd - just create a new thread right here in the Greek Board, that's what its for.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder