Textkit Logo

D. 9.4

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

D. 9.4

Postby pster » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:55 pm

OK, should be clear that I'm going to put every sentence of the Third Philippic up one at a time, so if you just want to skip my posts I won't hold it against you. On the other hand, you can look at as a chance for you to read some Demosthenes too. :D This is considered to be one of his greatest even by those who don't particularly go in for D.

OK, 9.4, we get this sentence.

εἶθ᾽ ὑμῖν συμβέβηκεν ἐκ τούτου ἐν μὲν ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις τρυφᾶν καὶ κολακεύεσθαι πάντα πρὸς ἡδονὴν ἀκούουσιν, ἐν δὲ τοῖς πράγμασι καὶ τοῖς γιγνομένοις περὶ τῶν ἐσχάτων ἤδη κινδυνεύειν.

συμβέβηκεν - finite or infinitive?

τρυφᾶν - participle, finite or infinitive?

I was assuming συμβέβηκεν was finite, but then you get ἀκούουσιν which is clearly finite and so I kinda couldn't get the structure right. And then I found conflicting translations!

I remember being able to read Latin within months. What the heck is going on with this Greek? Am I too old??
pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: D. 9.4

Postby NateD26 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Browsing LSJ & Middle-Liddell, I think this is the impersonal construction of συμβαίνω:
3rd sg. + dat. pers. + inf., so it seems more likely that ἀκούουσιν is a participle modifying ὑμῖν
and τρυφᾶν καὶ κολακεύεσθαι in the μέν clause are infinitives paralleled with κινδυνεύειν in the δέ one.
Last edited by NateD26 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: D. 9.4

Postby pster » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Great. Thanks. That works very well.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek