Different editions of the Odyssey

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Different editions of the Odyssey

Post by Paul Derouda »

I am wondering about the relative merits of the different Greek editions of the Odyssey. I suppose the texts that are still considered more or less "modern" are (at least) the OCT, the Von der Mühll, and the van Thiel editions. What are their their differences, merits, drawbacks and possible eccentricities? Which one would, for example, be a good basis for a modern translation?

I know this is a very complex issue so I'd be especially grateful If you could point me to a discussion elsewhere (a web site, book, review...).

Thanks for any answers!

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Different editions of the Odyssey

Post by NateD26 »

Perhaps these introductory pages (starting from Poem and Poet), written by Richard P. Martin, from Homer's Odyssey
by Edward McCrorie (JUH Press, 2004) would be of some help. He does mention the merits of the OCT version
by Thomas W. Allen (2ed., 1917) as being the most accepted edition, but notes that McCrorie ultimately relied on
several medieval manuscripts, the earliest of which dates back to around A.D. 900.
Nate.