minor question with Thuc.2.61.1

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
chibibaiyun
Textkit Neophyte

minor question with Thuc.2.61.1

Post by chibibaiyun »

καὶ γὰρ οἷς μὲν αἵρεσις γεγένηται τἆλλα εὐτυχοῦσι, πολλὴ ἄνοια πολεμῆσαι

my question is that in the clause there are two short predicates,yet between them there seems no conj. why?

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: minor question with Thuc.2.61.1

Post by modus.irrealis »

I would take εὐτυχοῦσι here as the participle.

ximo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ximo »

There are two clauses or sentences. The principal is in the second part with the verb esti elliptical on which depends the infinitive polemhsai (it is a big madness/nonsense to fight); on this sentence depends the other with the verb gegenhtai. The two sentences are divided by the relative ois in dative plural and this pronoun is accompanied by the participle eutuxousin (with the people for who the conquest is a big luck). The subordinate is simply a relative clause. "It's nonsense to fight against ones for who the conquest/defeat is profitable/ is luck.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

I don't think that's right. I understood the sentence as "because for those who have the choice while prospering in other things, it is great ignorance to make war".