Textkit Logo

Facsimiles of Greek manuscripts

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Facsimiles of Greek manuscripts

Postby Auberon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested in the transmission of Greek tragedy and the field of paleography, and I was reading about how codexes from the Middle Ages have been reproduced in book form. I've done some searching on the internet and haven't had too much luck in finding any. I see codexes that are Bible related, but as I mentioned I am looking for those that relate to Greek drama.

Some that I've been seeking in facsimile form are:

Mediceus Laurentianus 32.9 and 32.2
Palimpsest Codex no. 36
Manuscript G
Bibliotheca Nazionale II, F.31

Does anyone know where these can be found and if they are available at a reasonable price? (The ones relating to the OT and NT are relatively plentiful and inexpensive.) Thanks in advance.
Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest.—Eric Clapton
Auberon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Facsimiles of Greek manuscripts

Postby thesaurus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't know about these particular manuscripts, but I think most MS facsimiles tend to be very expensive and difficult to buy. We used some various medieval MS in some literature seminars, and they were usually in the possession of the rare books department of the library. Also, not all MS have had facsimiles made of them, so it could be tough to find these. For a Latin class I looked at a volume from the series "Codices graeci et latini photographice depicti," so I'm guessing what you want would be in that series (seemingly produced around 1900, although I see there have been some reprints decades later).

A search on http://www.worldcat.org shows some results:

Codex Laurentianus Mediceus 68 - there seem to be photocopies in various university libraries.

Is "Palimpsest Codex no. 36" the full shelf mark for this MS? I'm turning up a variety of results...

Not sure if Manuscript G has been reproduced (assuming you want "Manuscript G (BnF fr. 19152)").

Can't find reference to "Bibliotheca Nazionale II, F.31," but I'm not very good at this...
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Facsimiles of Greek manuscripts

Postby Auberon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 pm

thesaurus, thanks. You've given me a good resource for my search.
Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest.—Eric Clapton
Auberon
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek