Paradigm for the participle

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Paradigm for the participle

Post by Banana tree »

Hey guys.

I have this really thick grammar book but I can't find anything about the paradigm for the participle. It just says how it was used. I have looked at the scanned books here at Textkit but I still don't get it. Could someone please type a complete paradigm for presence, aorist and imperfect.

Like this:

Presence masculine:
Nominative/vocative: -ων -οντ-ες

Et cetera.

It would be highly appreciated. But maybe there's something here I don't get since the grammar book don't write it out I'm just guessing that you could deduce it from something else. Anyway thanks in advance.

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Paradigm for the participle

Post by NateD26 »

Hi! You can go to Berkeley's site and find all participles' paradigms in no. 54-66.
Smyth's Grammar also has complete paradigms with notes.

What book do you use?
Nate.

Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Banana tree »

Thanks a lot, bookmark on that site. My book is written in Swedish and Danish (don't ask me why they mix these languages) so I guess it's not so well-known. But for the record then: Grekisk/græsk grammatik by Blomqvist, Jerker.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Nate wrote
Hi! You can go to Berkeley's site and find all participles' paradigms in no. 54-66.
Smyth's Grammar also has complete paradigms with notes.
Thanks, Nate. What a great site! I like the fact that you can click on the participle and it will give you the full paradigms.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Domicella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Domicella »

Dude,I know how you feel. My ancient Greek grammar book is in old old old Norwegian, it doesn't make things any easier. I feel very lucky we got an english text book! Reading everything in Danish/Swedish-mode is a bitch! Can't believe it is ignoring participles tho. I am gonna study it now,because they come up CONSTANTLY in Plato (Phaedon) so I better figure it out quick. I'll let you know if I find any easy patterns. All I know for now is that for participles ending in -wv (base-ovt) follow declination like 3rd.declination nouns in 3rd.class (bases ending in -v,-p (yes I mean R) and -ovt (masc. NOM-wn,ACC-a,GEN-os,DAT-i,plural:N-es,A-as,G-wn,D-si) (neutrum too,but change Nom/Acc obviously) while feminine follows 1st declination!