Kleber Kosta Iliad on YouTube. What do you think?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
charleshardt
Textkit Neophyte

Kleber Kosta Iliad on YouTube. What do you think?

Post by charleshardt »

I just found lines 1 - 30 of the Iliad on YouTube, recited by Kleber Kosta. Sorry I can't provide a direct link; I'm browsing on a Wii. (l-e-t-t-e-r b-y l-e-t-t-e-r!) Just go to YouTube and search “Kleber Kosta Iliad” and it'll be the first result.

What do the advanced members here think of this rendition? I thought it was inspiring, and I enjoyed actually hearing how the sounds, vowels, etc. correspond to the explanations I'm reading in Pharr and on the internet. There were not a few divergences from how I was saying it, and I'm looking forward to studying this video in more depth.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Kleber Kosta Iliad on YouTube. What do you think?

Post by Scribo »

It's actually how I do it, i.e a mix of modern Greek thrown in there. Incidently one of the members here (Annis?) has a few lines recorded somewhere which sound good.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Kleber Kosta Iliad on YouTube. What do you think?

Post by Markos »

Hi, Charles,

Here is the link to what you are talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22mJXuQnYIg

Let me say first off that I am a big fan of this guys videos in general.

In my opinion how one evaluates a reading like this has little to do with how well one knows Homeric Greek and everything to do with personal taste. There are lots of different ways one can read Homer. I will simply say this reading is very easy for me to understand and sounds wonderful to me.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.