"Reading Course in Homeric Greek" edited by Edwards

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
dacoopatroopa
Textkit Neophyte

"Reading Course in Homeric Greek" edited by Edwards

Post by dacoopatroopa »

Hey all,

So, at the risk of being berated for being a typical poorly educated member of my generation, I'm going to complain about how hard it is to learn using old materials. I know, I know. I'm a product of an environment of internet sound bytes and youtube clips to the extend that I've lost even the most basic ability to learn from the classic materials that have been educating students for generations. I'm sorry, I just can't seem to get the hang of using a book from the 1920's (referring to Pharr) with it's tiny print, constant references to the back of the book, no answer key and poor black and white pictures. Blame it on my pitiful American education.

But here's the thing: I really want to be able to read the language. I love the stories, and how each sentence is like a little puzzle that contains a little treasure of wisdom upon comprehension. I love Greek mythology, philosophy and history and I would consider it an honor and a privilege to be able to come into contact with these in their original language. And I'm not afraid of memorization! I've taken a year of college level (modern-day American college level, but still) Latin and Ancient Greek and didn't mind memorizing the necessary paradigms and vocabulary. I just wish they were presented in a better way! Endless tables and lists of rules are frustrating and boring. If there is no better way, then I shall persist in this dogged style.

However, I come now to you to ask if there is a better way. A quick Amazon.com search led me to "Reading Course in Homeric Greek" edited by Edwards. Does anyone know if this is a text that might be laid out with a little more sympathy for the learner. I know the classics community prides itself on its conservative methods and all, but I think us pitifully educated youths of the forthcoming generation could use a little sympathy.

I just want to be able to read the classics in their original language. I don't care so much about composition or pronunciation except insofar as they enhance the comprehension of the readings.

Please help.

rkday
Textkit Neophyte

Re: "Reading Course in Homeric Greek" edited by Edwards

Post by rkday »

The question is, how desperate are you to read Homer? Homeric has a quite difficult vocabulary, being in verse increases the difficulty again, and as a dialect it's much more poorly served - in terms of educational materials - than Attic. I learnt in two months from JACT Reading Greek, which is modern, intended for self-study and focuses much more on reading than memorisation, and now I'm quite happily reading Lysias and the Gospel of Mark. Could you consider something like that?

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Yes, the reprint of a Reading Course in Homeric Greek is a little more user friendly than Pharr. Frank Beetham's book Beginning Greek with Homer might also be closer to what you need. There are lots of audio-visual resources out there--type in Koine Language or Learn Ancient Greek on You-Tube and you'll find some stuff--but these really SUPPLEMENT the traditional materials. If you are serious about learning Homer, you have to work through stuff like Pharr, if not Pharr himself. But stick with it. It's worth everything you put into it.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

rkday wrote
I learnt in two months from JACT Reading Greek, which is modern, intended for self-study and focuses much more on reading than memorisation, and now I'm quite happily reading Lysias and the Gospel of Mark.
Hi, rkday,

If after only two months you are reading, even haltingly, Lysias and Mark, that is a pretty good endorsement of JACT, which I know many people like. Could you share some of your tips for self-study, as you have obviously been quite successful? It took me closer to two years to be able to read the Greek NT with much success.

ερρωσο Μαρκος
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

rkday
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rkday »

Markos wrote:rkday wrote
I learnt in two months from JACT Reading Greek, which is modern, intended for self-study and focuses much more on reading than memorisation, and now I'm quite happily reading Lysias and the Gospel of Mark.
Hi, rkday,

If after only two months you are reading, even haltingly, Lysias and Mark, that is a pretty good endorsement of JACT, which I know many people like. Could you share some of your tips for self-study, as you have obviously been quite successful? It took me closer to two years to be able to read the Greek NT with much success.

ερρωσο Μαρκος
I'm afraid that the secret of my success is that I didn't self-study! I actually took an intensive Greek summer school in Ireland, which meant two or three hours of Greek each day and a fast pace, and I already had Latin grammar behind me. All I meant to say with that comment is that, because JACT publish their "Independent Study Guide to Reading Greek", it has the independent learner in mind more than some other texts do.