Nature of the Arist, Empedocles

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Jordan St. Francis
Textkit Neophyte

Nature of the Arist, Empedocles

Post by Jordan St. Francis »

Okay, I am still an intermediate Greek student, but I am being ambitious and attempting some verse from the Oxford Book of Greek Verse. I'm starting with "Nature of the Artist" by Empedocles. I've only gone so far as doing the Lexicon work. I'm just starting to translate. Already I'm stuck.

Can any one parse this verb for me:
δεδαῶτε
Which seems to come from the verb δάω and looks like a perfect. I'm just not sure by what process an omega got in there.
Also, in line 9 the verb καινύτω appears, which looks to be from καινύμαι, but I am not sure what form that would take. My Lexicon notes that the 3s. imperfect is ἐκαινύτο. Could this be the 3s. present active imperative, even though the original form of the verb is deponent? Or?

Maybe I need more formal Greek classes.

Thanks!

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Nature of the Arist, Empedocles

Post by NateD26 »

you can always use Perseus when in doubt:
δεδαῶτε is the dual pf act participle nom/acc/voc. δεδαώς is the nom. sg. masc. participle form
(the root in the pf. is δαε- according to Smyth and in §309a. he gives a list of similar verbs with contracted participles of the 2nd pf.)
so I guess that explains the omega and the accent position.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... e&la=greek

I couldn't find καινύτω in Perseus but under καίνυμι, LSJ has:
Act. only in imper. καινύτω, μή σ' ἀπάτη φρένα κ. Emp.23.9
it is the 3rd. sg. form and it follows the imperative pattern of -vu-μι verbs.
Nate.