JACT Reading Greek?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Scribo
Global Moderator

JACT Reading Greek?

Post by Scribo »

Has any body used this text book? I took them out as means to revise (since no matter how well I knew the Grammar my reading was godawfully slow...) and I found that it's slow but enjoyable. Admittedly I don't know how good an idea it is for me to be using them as revision...but still...

Any thoughts?
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: JACT Reading Greek?

Post by oberon »

I have a number of works by the JACT. I barely looked at their textbook. It offered nothing new, and (coming from a background of learning modern languages as well) I think Athenaze is my favorite textbook. However, in teaching and tutoring greek students, I have found their anthologies (particularly A Greek Anthology excellent.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

This stuff is okay. I can think of ten similar books that I would recommend over JACT.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I first learned Ancient Greek with JACT. The textbook that's going to work best I think depends a lot on your own skill level with language and grammar and your learning environment (classroom, independent, etc..). JACT's fine but for me, it's not my favorite. I have not opened the textbook in about 12 years but I recall that it introduced concepts gradually and not at all in a traditional way. This could be seen as a positive or negative. White and Sidgwick are my favorites because they all stress a good amount of composition from the very start.

I agree too that the JACT readers are nice. Those were fun.

jeff
Textkit Founder