House of Paine

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Auberon
Textkit Neophyte

House of Paine

Post by Auberon »

Hello.

Has anyone studied and profited from Stephen Paine's Beginning Greek: A Functional Approach?

I've leafed through it and have seen some very positive reviews on Amazon that laud its inductive approach. But they warn of the difficulty of using it outside of the classroom without a guide.

Curious if anyone has gained a working knowledge of Greek through this book. Especially if they did it on their own.
Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest.—Eric Clapton

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: House of Paine

Post by Bert »

I don't think it is necessarily difficult without a teacher but it is definitely difficult if it is your first exposure to Greek. If you have some background in Greek, this book moves along fast enough to make it fun. For someone's first Greek book, this speed would be break-neck.

Auberon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: House of Paine

Post by Auberon »

Thanks, Bert.
Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest.—Eric Clapton