Didymus

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
marcustutt
Textkit Neophyte

Didymus

Post by marcustutt »

Hi there,
great to find a forum on Ancient Greek. Anyone know were I can get a translation of Didymus' commentary on Job? I'm trying to translate bits but its not really making much sense yet!
Many thanks,
Marcus

ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Zealot

Re: Didymus

Post by ἑκηβόλος »

Another way to approach your search is try finding a translation of the larger work that the commentary forms a part of. I haven't been able to find a simple translation myself, but let me describe a little bit about what you might be able to look for.

The Catena of Nicetas (Νικήτας) is an 11th century compilation of earlier patristic commentators. Migne (xxxix, 1119ff) presents Didymus' commentary extracted from the Catena of Nicetas found in the two 12th or 13th century manuscripts in the Bodleian library in 1637. Pinakes contains references to numerous Catenae on Job dating back to the 7th or 8th century, which may or may not contain the same or similar quotes from Didymus.

If you have adequate Latin, the parallel column in Migne will be immediately useful, and if you haven't then typing the Latin into Google translate phrase by phrase will give you something approaching a translation.
τί δὲ ἀγαθὸν τῇ πομφόλυγι συνεστώσῃ ἢ κακὸν διαλυθείσῃ;

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Didymus

Post by jeidsath »

The first two hits on Google for "translation of Didymus' commentary on Job" give me links to Edward Duffy's translation:

https://www.gtfeducation.org/images/dyn ... _Duffy.pdf
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com