τὸ ἵππιος

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
EberP
Textkit Neophyte

τὸ ἵππιος

Post by EberP »

χαίρετε,

The other day I was working again on Greek Boy at Home (from Rouse) when I encountered this sentence which I'm trying to understand since the writer seems to be using a neuter pronoun τό with a masculine adjective ἵππιος, although he uses the normal masculine pron. in the sentence before.
What do you think of this?

ὁ δ' ἵππιος διπλοῦς ἐστι δίαυλος , διαθεόντων τῶν δρομέων δὶς πρός τε τὴν βαλβῖδα καὶ πάλιν.
τὸ δ' ἵππιος σημαίνει τὸ μῆκος μόνον: οὐ γὰρ ἵπποις χρῶνται.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: τὸ ἵππιος

Post by jeidsath »

Cite your page numbers, otherwise other people can't look up the section that you are quoting. (In this case, chapter 42, pg. 99).

“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Rouse's explanation appears motivated by this usage from Electra:

ἢ δρομεὺς δισσοὺς διαύλους ἱππίους διήνυσεν

The second sentence is talking about the word itself.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

τό is often used where we would use quotes, using the word as a word in definitions, and so forth.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

EberP
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EberP »

I appreciate your answers guys and yes, I will add more specific information in the future about what I'm reading.
And finally, if I understand correctly this use of τό, this would be my translation of that sentence:

τὸ δ' ἵππιος σημαίνει τὸ μῆκος μόνον: οὐ γὰρ ἵπποις χρῶνται.
"and/but the word "ἵππιος" indicates only the lenght: for they don't use horses."