Textkit Logo

Eur. Medea 1027 λαμπάδας τ᾽ ἀνασχεθεῖν

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Eur. Medea 1027 λαμπάδας τ᾽ ἀνασχεθεῖν

Postby ἑκηβόλος » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:58 am

What is this form ἀνασχεθεῖν? My guess is that is an infinitive with πρίν. Does it just collocate with the torches, or eith all the things she has done for them?

ὦ τέκνα τέκνα, σφῷν μὲν ἔστι δὴ πόλις
καὶ δῶμ᾽, ἐν ᾧ λιπόντες ἀθλίαν ἐμὲ
οἰκήσετ᾽ αἰεὶ μητρὸς ἐστερημένοι:
ἐγὼ δ᾽ ἐς ἄλλην γαῖαν εἶμι δὴ φυγάς,
πρὶν σφῷν ὀνάσθαι κἀπιδεῖν εὐδαίμονας, 1025
πρὶν λουτρὰ καὶ γυναῖκα καὶ γαμηλίους
εὐνὰς ἀγῆλαι λαμπάδας τ᾽ ἀνασχεθεῖν.
"I've a balm for bruised hearts, brother, sleep for aching eyes,"
Says the warm wind, the west wind, full of birds' cries.
(John Masefield)
ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Eur. Medea 1027 λαμπάδας τ᾽ ἀνασχεθεῖν

Postby Barry Hofstetter » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 am

Poetic aorist infinitive from ἀνέχω. Yes, it's taken with πρίν. I would read it just of the torches.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Eur. Medea 1027 λαμπάδας τ᾽ ἀνασχεθεῖν

Postby ἑκηβόλος » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks, Barry, and sorry in advance for (these following few questions) what I'm about to ask about and complicate with ... :wink:
  1. σφῷν - case
    1021 - 1022 wrote:σφῷν μὲν ἔστι δὴ πόλις
    καὶ δῶμ᾽,
    Are there any lines of reasoning that lead us prefer dative over genitive or genitive over dative in our grammatical understanding for the σφῷν here?
    1025 wrote:πρὶν σφῷν ὀνάσθαι
    Considering that ἐπιδεῖν, ἀγῆλαι and ἀνασχεθεῖν all have Medea herself as the subject, is σφῷν necessarily genitive here because this ὀνάσθαι too is Medea talking of herself in the middle as their mother or could it be a dative of respect with an impersonal use of ὀνάσθαι?

2. σφῷν - form
    This particular form being a contraction of σφῶϊν is straightforward enough, but is there a reason why the omega is in the form that the dual ending ιν is added to? Is that omega part if the dual morphology, or part of the base form of the pronoun itself?

3. λουτρὰ - meaning
    1026 wrote:λουτρὰ
    Is this λουτρὰ part of a set with the other wedding words and alluding to a ritual or customary washing as part of the lead up to the wedding ceremony, or is it a reference to her general care during childhood? My guess is that if it was a word of general care, it would be in the previous πρὶν clause.
"I've a balm for bruised hearts, brother, sleep for aching eyes,"
Says the warm wind, the west wind, full of birds' cries.
(John Masefield)
ἑκηβόλος
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek