Ch 31 Typo?

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
kbecker
Textkit Neophyte

Ch 31 Typo?

Post by kbecker »

Practice and Review #4 of Chapter 31 looks to have a result clause. However, it is written with "ut ne" rather than "ut non". Is this just a typo, as I suspect? Or is there some odd construction I don't know about? I'm pretty sure you can use "ne" in an indirect command, but like I said I'm pretty sure this is a result clause. Moreover, the indirect command isn't introduced until Chapter 36.

Thanks for your input!

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Ch 31 Typo?

Post by calvinist »

Yes, it is a result clause. I myself don't determine the clause by the presence of non or ne since they can sometimes be used interchangeably. If you go to the Ch. 29 vocabulary entry for 'quidem' though, you will notice "ne.... quidem" --> "not even" which is what is used in this result clause, "not even the fiercest soldiers". So it's not a typo, but it does seem odd after Wheelock leads you to believe that a result clause will never have 'ne'.

kbecker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kbecker »

Ahaaaaaa...thank you! I wouldn't have made the "ne...quidem" connection.

How often does ne appear in result clauses apart from instances like this where it is there for another reason? Wheelock did seem pretty vehement about it never occurring.

kbecker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kbecker »

Oh, and I just remembered the part introducing the result clause which said that the negative was formed with ut + non or any other negative word. I guess that's the answer. Thanks again.