Loci Immutati 22

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Whilom
Textkit Neophyte

Loci Immutati 22

Post by Whilom »

Alright, within the first two lines I'm already having trouble. So far I have "Do not seek – it is wrong to know – which goal to me, which to you...". I don't understand what "di" is in the second line. A number? The gods?

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

"Di" is a syncopated form for "Dei". I am sure we would be able to help you more if you'd post the sentence.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

I would take finis here in the sense "end" = "death". dederint here is in the subjunctive because Latin uses the subjunctive in indirect questions, and since it's the perfect subjunctive it represents a past tense. Changing it around a bit, I'd finish your translation as "Do not seek -- it is wrong to know -- what end the gods have given me, and what end they've given you,..." -- it could also be "which end" but I don't see too much difference in this case.
MiguelM wrote:I am sure we would be able to help you more if you'd post the sentence.
I can give the first sentence:

Tu ne quaesieris -- scire nefas -- quem mihi, quem tibi finem di dederint, Leuconoe, nec Babylonios temptaris numeros.