Q concerning Days of the Week (ch 28)

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
autophile
Textkit Neophyte

Q concerning Days of the Week (ch 28)

Post by autophile »

Salvete!

I have a question about the following sentence:

Primum enim diem a Sole appellaverunt, qui princeps est omnium stellarum ut idem dies est prae omnibus diebus aliis.

My question specifically is about the use of qui. My translation would be:

The first day, for example, is called after the Sun, which is the first among all the stars, in order that this day be before all the other days.

My problem is that in my translation, which refers to the Sun, which in a Sole is in the ablative. So doesn't that mean that the ablative relative pronoun quo should have been used?

Valete,

--Rob

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

Autophile,

The relative has its own case from the words around it. If you have trouble, just isolate it from the rest of the sentence: <b>qui princeps est omnium stellarum</b>. That is "who prince is of all stars" (not "whom prince is of all stars")

Be careful with your verbs. <b>appellaverunt</b> is actually a plural "they (have) called/named".<pre></pre>
Last edited by Essorant on Fri May 23, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Q concerning Days of the Week (ch 28)

Post by modus.irrealis »

Hi,
autophile wrote:My problem is that in my translation, which refers to the Sun, which in a Sole is in the ablative. So doesn't that mean that the ablative relative pronoun quo should have been used?
Remember that the relative pronoun takes its gender and number from the noun it refers back to but its case is determined by its function in its own clause, so here it's nominative because it's the subject of est.

I also noticed a couple things about your translation: appellaverunt is in the active voice, so "they called the first day..." Also, ut is followed by an indicative verb so it means "as" here, rather than "so that."

autophile
Textkit Neophyte

Post by autophile »

All,

Thanks for all your corrections and explanations! Just so you know I'm not totally hopeless, my notebook did actually have "they called" instead of "is called", but the other mistakes are firmly mine :)

Thanks again!

--Rob