Pronunciation of Latin

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Silvermage2574
Textkit Neophyte

Pronunciation of Latin

Post by Silvermage2574 »

Hello I am a first year Latin student and I have just finished chapter 8 in Wheelock's Latin textbook. The entire time I have been working on this I have been struggling with the pronunciation of the Latin. I was wondering if there was any website's that could help with that. Also what would be the best way to memorize all of the vocabulary in the book. If anyone could help that would be great, thanks!

rothbard
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Pronunciation of Latin

Post by rothbard »

Silvermage2574 wrote:Hello I am a first year Latin student and I have just finished chapter 8 in Wheelock's Latin textbook. The entire time I have been working on this I have been struggling with the pronunciation of the Latin. I was wondering if there was any website's that could help with that. Also what would be the best way to memorize all of the vocabulary in the book. If anyone could help that would be great, thanks!
If you are using the "reconstructed" pronunciation (which is what I think Wheelock uses), then I would recommend ThePrinceSterling's recordings of De Bello Gallico. Here is the link to the first book.

Fausta
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Pronunciation of Latin

Post by Fausta »

Salve Silvermage
If you google youtube, Wheelock's latin, there is a video for each chapter that shows the word while someone reads it. To work on pronunciation, it can be helpful to sing in latin, regardless of one's singing ability. Not only are you trying to copy the musical tones you hear, but you are also copying the pronunciation and you may find yourself singing in latin throughout the day. Lastly, to memorize words, it can be helpful to write (not type) the words. Try using a different colour for masculine, feminine and neuter words. The use of colour can help with memory. Do little vocabulary quizzes throughout the day if you can - test yourself with 10 words at breakfast, 10 words on a break during the day and 10 words before going to bed. Celebrate your achievements, so instead of 'I got 2 wrong answers' think 'I got 8 right answers'. Short bursts of repetition and review are better than one long work period.