Noun Groups

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
dayrinni
Textkit Neophyte

Noun Groups

Post by dayrinni »

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has compiled a list of all of the nouns in Wheelock and what declension they belong too? I decided to ask before I do it myself(maybe - it seems to be quite the task). I figure if I had a list that broke everything down I could learn better.

Thank you

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fierywrath »

why would that be necessary? you can tell a nouns declension by looking at its entry in the back. if you take the easy path and don't learn how to read principle parts, then you are surely doomed to wallow in mediocrity!

dayrinni
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dayrinni »

I didn't realize how to read the definitions for the first half of the class in the book. So now I have to make up lost time and go over every word to figure out what declension they belong too so I can decline them in the exercises. If there was a list of groupings that has been made, I would be able to easily go over the words and figure out what goes where. What page are these entries on that you speak of? I found some in the back, but they don't cover every word.

Thank you, sir.

(In case you misunderstood what I wanted:
I am looking for something like this:
ira: first declension
etc)

elduce
Textkit Member

Post by elduce »

I've built a vocabulary list and have added to it in small bites over the years, but I always review the core words from Wheelock.
I do my vocab list like this:
mensa, mensae (f1) table
oculus, oculi (m2) eye
civis, civis (m/f3) citizen

I also do verbs, adjective, adverbs, et al.

Vale, dayrinni.
ego amo megaforce