Exercies

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
ladidah123
Textkit Neophyte

Exercies

Post by ladidah123 »

Hi,

So i'm learning latin through wheelock's book and i'm stuck up on this exercise.
They give you sentences with blanks and you have to fill it in and then translate.

Sine_____(ira) monet.

_____(nauta)_____(poena; pl.) dant.

Thanks in advance

Lord_WayneY
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Exercies

Post by Lord_WayneY »

These are questions about grammar. What you need to do is determine the case of the words.

The first one, "ira" is after "sine", so I think it should be ablative case. So, "īrā" or "īrīs". And you may find it is "monet" but not "monent", singular, so "īrā" would be the one. The meaning of the sentence I think it should be " (Someone) advise without anger ".

The second question, since the verb is "dant", poena is not able to do a "dant", so it is be "dant". Who is the subject? Maybe nauta. But the verb is plural, and the "nauta" is not indicated as a "pl.", so I think the subject is omitted and the nauta is the indirect object. Now, poena is object and plural, "poenās", "nauta" is indirect object and single, "nautae". And the whole meaning is "(Someone) give punishments to the sailor ".

I am still a junior learner of Latin, you may take the above as an advice, but I can not make sure it is correct. Only wish the process of analysis would be help.
Civis Sinensis.
I am here not only to learn Latin, but also English.