will this work?

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
RachelK
Textkit Neophyte

will this work?

Post by RachelK »

im a busy college student who has always longed to pick latin back up.
if i were to study a chapter of wheelock for 3hrs once a week (plus daily flashcards) would i be able to learn it? has anyone here succesfully gone through wheelock independently? will there be any study groups starting in the near future? i know thats a lot of ??'s for one topic, but any feedback is much appreciated!

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Saluē, Rachel,

From what I understand, there are indeed Textkittens who have successfully gone through Wheelock on their own, and there have also been study groups for the book proper.

However, I personally would not recommend Wheelock for someone in your position. I won't reiterate here, but if you search for posts by me and for "Lingua Latina," if you haven't already seen such posts, you'll find out my opinion on the matter, if you so desire.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

Salve!

What may be most important about your language learning regimen, Rachel, is spreading the three hours throughout the week instead of cramming it all into one weekly session. Thirty minutes daily - only three and a half hours per week - would give you the repetition that is really essential to learn and to retain a language.

As for Wheelock's - I worked through most of it on my own. You'll find that it is a decent aid to learning Latin. However, you should be aware that there are a lot of critics of Wheelock's, both among those who study Latin as a hobby and among professionals and academics. You may wish to consult the following thread: viewtopic.php?t=53

In my own opinion, by all means use Wheelock's, especially if you have it already. But you should supplement it, either with another contemporary textbook (consider especially Moreland and Fleischer's Latin: An Intensive Course and Hans Olberg's Lingua Latina--these represent two radically different methods of learning the language) or with one of the FREE textbooks available here. See this thread for more information: viewtopic.php?t=2370 The primary rational for this approach is that Wheelock's 1) simplifies many of the concepts and constructions of Latin and 2) does not provide enough examples to thoroughly immerse you in the language.

If you have any further questions, we will be most delighted to have a go at them!

Regards,

bpq

RachelK
Textkit Neophyte

Post by RachelK »

thank you both, that's a big help, though a little discouraging since i've purchased almost the full-line of wheelock texts. what would you recommend for a budget of around $50? the lingua latin looks really interesting, can you link me to any threads that give further info?
thanks!