Gallia est omnis terra barbaricorum.

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Gallia est omnis terra barbaricorum.

Post by Deudeditus »

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur. Hi omnes lingua, institutis, legibus inter se different. Gallos ab Aquitanis Garumna flumen, a Belgis Matrona et Sequana dividit. Horum omnium fortissimo sunt Belgae.
Gaul is all divided into III parts, of which the Belgae inhabit one, the Aquitani another, (and) those who are named in their own language the Celts, in our own the Gauls. They all differ between each other in language, customs, and laws. The Garumna river divides the Gauls from the Aquitani, (and) the Matrona and Sequana divide (the Gauls) from the Belgae. Of them all, the strongest are the Belgae.
Chapter 26. 'The Nations of Gaul'
In addition to any other mistakes I have unwittingly made, could you help with these problems?
Why is quarum in the first sentence? I kinda get it, but I don't understand exactly why. And I couldn't explain it.
In the 2nd to last sentence, Garumna, Matrona, and Sequana are all subjects of dividere (any relation to video?), but the verb is singular...

elduce
Textkit Member

Post by elduce »

Salve,
You've done a good job. Quarum agrees with 'partes' for 'in partes tres.' Partes is plural and feminine so it agrees with quarum. Quarum is Genitive because its role is defined in the relative clause as such.

As to the 'dividit', each river refers to the verb. It's implied that each river is a singular unit, instead of reading they all divide, it's read "Garumna divides, Matrona divides, Sequana divides."

Vale
ego amo megaforce

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

I don't understand why it has to be there at all, though. What is it's role in the relative phrase? Maybe my brain is flatulating on this one...

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

^ I was referring to quarum.
thanks about dividit.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Deudeditus wrote:What is it's role in the relative phrase?
Well, the relative pronoun (quarum, in this case) is the most essential part of the relative clause, no? Syntactically, quarum modifies unam, and it would probably be better English to say "(three parts,) one of which the Belgae inhabit".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

Thanks. I was translating it basackwards. 'Of which the B. inhabit...', rather than "one of which the B. inhabit...". :oops:
gratias vobis

oh, this looked odd to me... Laudate parthicum 'romanasum' habentem, is it ok?
-el jon

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

it looks fine, but I have no idea what 'romanasum' means. my first thought is a pre-rhotacized genitive plural :?

edit: romanum nasum :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

Yeah, Romanum nasum... :) I would never have thought it a pre-rhotacized anything, so propas for that thought!