Wheelocks Vocab

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
minireef
Textkit Neophyte

Wheelocks Vocab

Post by minireef »

Hello, i am using Wheelocks Sixth Edition, Revised and have a question about the vocabulary in the book. Why is the fourth principle part of the verbs listed as having the ending -tum, when all other books and latin dictionaries I have used list the ending as -tus? I am working on memorizing vocabulary for my latin class and do not know whether or not to memorize the verbs with the -tum or the -tus ending. Thank you for any help.
-minireef

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It doesn't matter which you memorize, since all three genders can be used for the 4th principal part. Wheelock's isn't the only text that uses the neuter, not by a longshot. I believe the reason some texts prefer the neuter ending for the ppp is to distinguish between normal verbs (for which neuter is given) and deponent verbs (for which masculine is given). Once again, it does not matter which gender you give for that ending (though I have yet to see anyone use feminine in the principal parts), since it should be apparent to you that it can be -tus, -ta, or -tum for any verb (or -sus, -sa, -sum in some cases).
Last edited by benissimus on Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

minireef
Textkit Neophyte

Post by minireef »

Okay, thank your for your reply. I was really concerned with which to memorize because i began making flashcards for vocab for review of the wheelock chapters when I noticed the other endings in one of my other books. Thank you again.
-minireef