Textkit Logo

loci antiquii #8

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

loci antiquii #8

Postby elduce » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:44 pm

In the second paragraph, first line of "A more Positive View..." the speaker (Africanus Maior?) says "Immo vero,"...I don't understand what immo means, or if vero is an adjective or an adverb.

Fiat pax tibi
ego amo megaforce
elduce
Textkit Member

Postby Lucus Eques » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:47 pm

Saluē! immō means "to the contrary," and uērō in such a position tends to mean "but" or "however," though it can also mean "truly" depending upon the context. I have the 6th edition of Wheelock, yet I can't seem to find the passage you cite; the 8th of the Loci Antiqui is called "Hannibal; the Second Punic War" in my book. If you gave the full sentence, it would be easier to tell the exact meaning.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Postby benissimus » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:55 am

immo vero is a set phrase that can usually be translated "quite the contrary". Lucus is quite right: immo means "on the contrary" and it is strengthened here by the adverb vero. This phrase is not from Loci Antiqui but from Loci Immutati 8.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Wheelock's Latin