Textkit Logo

Wheelock Chapter 3

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

Wheelock Chapter 3

Postby fsohn » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:22 am

Ok, here's my translation of the selection from chapter 3, with the Latin first.

Agricola et vitam et fortunam nautae saepe laudat; nauta magnam fortunam et vitam poetae saepe laudat; et poeta vitam et agros agricolae laudat. Sine philisophia avari viri de pecunia semper cogitant: multam pecuniam habent, sed pecunia multa viram avarum non satiat.

and my translation:

The farmer praises both the life and the fortune of the sailor; the sailor often praises the greay fortune and life of the poet; the poet praises the life and the fields of the farmer. Without philosophy greedy men always think about money: they have much money, but much money does not satisfy the greedy man

As always, help is appreciated
fsohn
Textkit Neophyte

Postby amans » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:55 am

Very good. You did miss a saepe in the first line and the et introducing the third sentence. Further, I think it must have been virum avarum in the last line (not viram). But apart from that, your translation is correct.
amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Wheelock's Latin