Starting a beginners' Wheelock study group.

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

Would you participate in a beginners' Wheelock group?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:54 pm

Who would like to start a new Wheelock study group?
67%
Is there anyone studying the first 6 chapters of Wheelock?
33%

Total votes: 3

christophershelt
Textkit Neophyte

Starting a beginners' Wheelock study group.

Post by christophershelt »

I have just started working on Wheelock again after a fairly long absence. I am completely new, really, to Latin, even though I studied Wheelock on my own for a couple of months last Fall. I have been taking classical and koine Greek as well, and just finished a semester of an online course generously taught by Prof. Pozzi at the Univ. of Houston. Greek doesn't begin again until late August and I want to try and study both languages, though now I'm concentrating on Latin.
I do not have the few hundred dollars that the online language courses want (and they deserve it, I'm sure...I'm just not able to afford them). So, I use Prof. Grote's Wheelock page and anything else I can find on the internet. I'm glad to see that there are moderators like Bessimus who have some knowledge of the language and who might be persuaded to give advice and helpful suggestions.
So, if there is anyone who would like to start a beginners' group (starting together at some point amenable to all and using whatever texts--preferably Wheelock texts--according to an agreed upon syllabus) please contact me by reply to this message or by contacting me directly at christophershelt@netscape.com. I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone interested.

p.s. The texts would be either one or more of the following: Wheelock's Latin, either 5th or 6th edition (whichever one we can agree together on using), and the Comprehensive Guide to Wheelock's Latin, by Grote, as well as the Wheelock Workbook (3rd Edit. rev.). I'm looking forward to hearing from any and all reasonably serious students.

Valete discipuli et discipulae (is that right?)

:D Christopher Shelton, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Keegan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Keegan »

I would like to join a workgroup. I own Wheelock's 6th edition, Workbook 3rd edition revised, and Grote's companion book, and have studied up to about chapter 4. Anytime is good for me to start. I don't mind going at a reasonably quick pace. If it lasts a long time, I might not be able to continue for long after September, due to school starting back up for me.

Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Deccius »

Salve Christopher!

I have beening waiting for a new Wheelock's group to start up, so i was very happy to hear that you wanted to start one. I've already taken one year of Latin, but I began to study Wheelock's in order to expand my vocabulary, review certain concepts, and work ahead. I have Wheelock's 6th revised (unfortunately I do not have the accompanying workbook). I look forward to hearing more about this group.

Vale,
Deccius