Textkit Logo

a certain problem

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

a certain problem

Postby elduce » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:29 pm

In the back of book exercises Ch. 34, #25:

Ea nocte profectus, Caesar ad quandam insulam clarissimam venit.

I was confused by the use of quandam, and the glossary had no answer. Then I understood: quandam was really quamdam with the 'm' becoming an 'n', just like eamdem becomes eandem. Wheelock did not mention this (maybe he wanted the reader to figure it out).

Vale
ego amo megaforce
elduce
Textkit Member

Re: a certain problem

Postby benissimus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:53 pm

elduce wrote:In the back of book exercises Ch. 34, #25:

Ea nocte profectus, Caesar ad quandam insulam clarissimam venit.

I was confused by the use of quandam, and the glossary had no answer. Then I understood: quandam was really quamdam with the 'm' becoming an 'n', just like eamdem becomes eandem. Wheelock did not mention this (maybe he wanted the reader to figure it out).

Vale

It looks like you have answered your own question. The M of an accusative singular or genitive plural ending will change to N before the suffixes -dam (used with the relative pronoun) and -dem (used with the demonstrative pronoun).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Wheelock's Latin