tollere

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
elduce
Textkit Member

tollere

Post by elduce »

1) I find tollere an interesting verb because its perfect active, sustuli, is so differently spelled from its present active.
I notice the ferre group of verbs uses a 'tuli' base in its perfect active so I wonder if tollere and ferre are related.

2) Concerning the subjunctive mood, certain verbs look identical to the future active indicative mood, like agam (I will lead) and agam (Let me lead, if iussive). These two expressions have a somewhat similar tone i.e. I am going to lead. Is this why they look identical?

Gratias et vale.
ego amo megaforce

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: tollere

Post by benissimus »

elduce wrote:1) I find tollere an interesting verb because its perfect active, sustuli, is so differently spelled from its present active.
I notice the ferre group of verbs uses a 'tuli' base in its perfect active so I wonder if tollere and ferre are related.
Good observation. tollere takes its 3rd and 4th principal parts from sufferre (subferre), and there is a whole other story about why the principal parts of ferre and its compounds have such various principal parts.
2) Concerning the subjunctive mood, certain verbs look identical to the future active indicative mood, like agam (I will lead) and agam (Let me lead, if iussive). These two expressions have a somewhat similar tone i.e. I am going to lead. Is this why they look identical?
I believe the -am future is in origin a subjunctive form. It is interesting to note that English does something comparable, in that modal verbs are usually used to express futurity. In Latin, this overlap only occurs in the 3rd and 4th conjugations first person singular (fortunately).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae