Textkit Logo

GM Chapter 29 question

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

GM Chapter 29 question

Postby karendawn » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:02 am

There's a sentence that I'm stumbling over in one of the GM readings. Can anyone help me out to let me know if I'm on the right track? Thanks!

Iam in omnibus quae dicit tanta auctoritas inest ut dissentire pudeat et fidem non advocati sed testis habere ille videatur.

Here's what I've got so far:
Now in everything which he says such great authority is to be found that it is shameful to disagree and not to have faith of the advocate but of the eye-witness...
and it's a bit jumbled and I have no clue what to do with "ille videatur."

I just thought of something to do with ille videatur....what if the sentence said ... it is shameful to disagree and that man seems not to have faith of the advocate but of the eye-witness.

Am I even close?
karendawn
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Kerastes » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:50 am

Here are a couple of hints.

(1) ut looks like it introduces a result clause.
(2) video = see but videor = seem.
Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Postby karendawn » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:44 pm

Thanks, but we've now already gone over this in class, so I have it. And I was on the right track. (I knew that "ut" was a result clause - hence my use of "that" and I'm not sure if you're saying that it should be see rather than seem but my teacher said seem, which is what I had). Thanks anyway for the help.
karendawn
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Wheelock's Latin