Genitive pronouns

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
elduce
Textkit Member

Genitive pronouns

Post by elduce »

1) Wheelock's states that possessive genitives remain unchanged regardless of number, gender, etc. Could someone give me an example?

2) Would 'frater tui' be the best way to write 'your brother'?

Thank you.
El
ego amo megaforce

dominus sciurorum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dominus sciurorum »

I have only seen tui used once, myself, and it was in poetry.

dicis amore tui bellas ardere puellas...
(qui faciem sub aqua, Sexte, natantis habes)

I originally translated the first line as though the tui were referring to "bellas puellas", and so got a rather unconventional translation, transforming Sextus into a leno. >_> My mind has been corrupted by the one who says "esne forda vacca maris?"

A more conventional translation of the first line: You say that beautiful girls burn {with the love of you / with your love}.

I would say that "frater tuus" is probably a more natural way to say "your brother". However, "frater tui" means the same thing, so I guess you could say it.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

unless I use mi amice, I always use the adjective form of it. Meus, -a, -um; Tuus, -a, -um; etc...

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Marcus multa habebat, et...
filius eius bonus erat: His son was good.
anima eius sacra erat: His soul was sacred.
mille poma eius laeta erant: His thousand apples were happy.

In these "eius" is always masculine singular (referring to Marcus) - despite for example the plural subject "poma". This is because there is only one person doing the possession. The possessor is Marcus, who is male, so "eius" is always masculine (although in the singular, different-gendered pronouns all look the same anyway!) compare:

filius eorum bonus erat: their son was good
anima earum sacra erat: their (women!) soul was sacred.
pomum eorum laetissimum erat: their apple was happy.