Textkit Logo

Multiple verbs

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

Multiple verbs

Postby elduce » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:04 pm

Read, please:

Sententiam bonam vir habet tamen virum magistri monere debet reginae consilia demonstrare.

With four verbs in this sentence and the Roman's delight in putting any word anywhere, how will I know who is doing what?

Thank you.
elduce
Textkit Member

Postby Kasper » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:28 am

Sententiam bonam vir habet tamen virum magistri monere debet reginae consilia demonstrare.

With four verbs in this sentence and the Roman's delight in putting any word anywhere, how will I know who is doing what?

Well, basically by viewing the declensions. First find the nominative, this will be the subject, or the person doing it. There is only one in this sentence and this man is doing it all. It seems a very muddled sentence though.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”
Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Postby benissimus » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:47 am

Where did you get this sentence? It seems to have a gross lack of conjunctions and many bizarre phrases.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bizarre sentences

Postby elduce » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:54 pm

To Benissimus:
I found this site:

http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/language ... -prax.html

It is related to Wheelock's and they have exercises with hundreds of examples. I think there is a word generator program it uses to create these exercises. That may be why it has such odd phrase pairings.
elduce
Textkit Member

Return to Wheelock's Latin